Saturday, February 20, 2010

Francesco Meli and Isabel Leonard not coming to Paris Opera

And so I've been waiting for Isabel Leonard to come and sing in Paris next month, and I realize only now that she canceled her Rosina in the second run of Il Barbiere at Opéra Bastille :(

We also learned that Francesco Meli pulled our from the new production of La Donna del Lago which will open next June in Paris. As much as I'm sorry not to see him singing in Paris, I am glad he realized that this role was too big for him right now. He's one of the best young tenors and I prefer to see him enlarging his repertoire gradually.   Colin Lee will be singing the role of Rodrigo instead [listen to him here].

7 comments:

  1. Ernesto Palacio, Florez's manager, confirmed several weeks ago that Gregory Kunde will replace Colin Lee...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have just found your blog and am enjoying your comments on the Paris opera scene. I saw Don Carlo at the Bastille in 2008 and thought it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mei i am not sure, the dates are all on Colin Lee's calendar http://www.colinleetenor.com/web-content/calendar.html

    But any of the two would be a good choice :-) And yes probably at this point in time more secure choice. I would be nice to hear Meli tackle the role in the future though:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anne & Welcome! I saw Don Carlo in 2008 too, but this incarnation is better ;)

    Thanks a bunch Mei! Gregory Kunde (who I like too) will sing with Joyce DiDonato in La Donna del Lago Geneva, right before Paris. It seems reasonable to me that he goes on and sings it in Paris. Now Hariclea puts a worm of doubt... On the Kunde's site I see only Don Jose in Caracas in June 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course Francesco Meli singing it in the future would be great. It's just that I'd like to see him go one step at the time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I trust Ernesto Palacio if he says so I believe him, the point is whether the tenors' web schedules are up to date... We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was just to double check with you whether or not your source is clearly reliable :)

    I very much like Gregory Kunde so I'd be more than happy to see him as Rodrigo.

    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete